The trip was done in about one week time.
If you're thinking about doing your own road trip to New England or if you want to learn more about the places I visited during my trip, here is some info that might be helpful.
Day 1: Ashburn, VA - Brooklyn, NY
Day 2: Brooklyn, NY - Lake Damariscotta, ME
Day 3: Lake Damariscotta, ME
Day 4: Lake Damariscotta, ME
Day 5: Lake Damariscotta, ME - Bar Harbor, ME
Day 6: Bar Harbor, ME
Day 7: Bar Harbor, ME - Mount Washington Auto Road, NH - Boston, ME
Day 8: Boston, MA - Brooklyn, NY - Ashburn, VA
- Going on a cruise in the Penobscot Bay on board of a schooner. We went to an island for a classic lobster bake, and then cruised back while watching the sun set.
- I had lobster every day in Maine. Freshly steamed lobster, lobster roll, lobster mac n' cheese -- all excellent at reasonable prices.
- Joshua Chamberlain -- learning more about this Civil War general from Maine after first time hearing about his story at Gettysburg's 150th anniversary two weeks before.
- Getting lobster roll at Red's Eats Lobster Shack -- stopping by one of the highly rated lobster places in New England during the drive up on US 50.
- Excellent Italian food in the mountains -- finding La Bottega Saladino in Gorham, NH, and had one of the best Italian meals I had ever had.
Red's Eats -- excellent lobster roll with nice toasted bun and heaps of lobster meat
Schooner Olad, Camden, ME -- great cruise of Penobscot Bay including a lobster bake -- the freshest lobster you have in your life (just caught minutes before the dinner time)
Thurston's Lobster Pound, Bernard, ME -- great lobster at great price near Bar Harbor.
Quietside Cafe, Southeast Harbor, ME -- excellent blueberry pie on Mount Desert Island
La Bottega Saladino, Gorham, NH -- excellent family-run Italian restaurant serving authentic Italian dishes. They also have a little Italian food market.
Boston Foodie Tour -- a good alternative for foodies to tour downtown Boston. I went on one going through the Beacon Hill and Back Bay neighborhoods, going to restaurants and gourmet food shops in the neighborhood.
1. About the destinations:
a. When visiting Maine, there are some essential places / experiences that you should consider:
- Get lunch or dinner at one of the lobster shacks or lobster pounds in little towns in Maine. You can get lobster meal at very reasonable price. When in Maine... eat lobster.
- Going on a cruise -- might be a bit expensive, but if you can do one where you can see wildlife (whales, porpoises, puffins, seals) or even one that includes a traditional New England lobster bake, that would be memorable.
b. When visiting the White Mountains in New Hampshire, there are some essential places / experiences that you should consider:
- Driving up on the Mount Washington Auto Road, towards the summit at the place known to have the worst weather ever recorded. You may want to check first before going to make sure the road is open (it is closed during bad weather unsafe for motorists to go up), and make sure your car is in good condition to do the drive.
c. When visiting Boston, there are some essential places / experiences that you should consider:
- Freedom Trail -- Appreciating the historical moments surrounding the American Revolution. You can go on scheduled walking tours from the Boston Common or Faneuil Hall daily.
- Boston Foodie Tour -- Boston has some excellent destinations for the foodies, from traditional New England fare like lobster or clam chowder to the gourmet type places. This is a great way to check out some of the outstanding places in the neighborhoods where the locals go for good food.
- Hearthside Inn, Bar Harbor, ME: nicely decorated, cozy place to stay in Bar Harbor. The inn keepers are very attentive, and even remembered me from my visit few years before.
- Red's Eats, Wiscasset, ME
- Thurston's Lobster Pound, Bernard, ME
- Side Street Cafe, Bar Harbor, ME
- Quietside Cafe, Southeast Harbor, ME
- La Bottega Saladino, Gorham, NH
- Scampo, Boston, MA
- JP Licks, Boston, MA
- Beacon Hill Chocolates, Boston, MA
- Bacco's Wine and Cheese, Boston, MA
- Flour Bakery + Cafe, Boston, MA
- Turner Fisheries, Boston, MA
3. Places to visit/things to do:
- Joshua Chamberlain Museum, Brunswick, ME
- Schooner Olad, Camden, ME
- Maine State Prison Showroom, Thomaston, ME
- Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co., Bar Harbor, ME
- Mount Washington Auto Road, Gorham, NH
- Freedom Trail, Boston, MA
- Boston Foodie Tours, Boston, MA