This is a quick and easy chicken curry that would suit most tastes.
Whole chicken=====================medium size (approx 1.5 kg)
(You can also use boneless chicken 1kg / pre-cut chicken pieces. However fresh whole chicken always tastes the best)
Onion======================================2 (medium size)
Green Chili==================================2 (optional)
Ginger paste=================================1 tsp
Garlic paste=================================1 tsp
Garam masala (Curry powder)===============================2 tsp
Corriander powder===============================2 tsp
Cumin powder===============================1 tsp
Red Chili powder===============================1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder (haldi)===============================1/2 tsp
Cinnamon===================2 inch piece
Dried fenugreek leaves (Kasturi Methi)===============1 tbsp (optional)
Vegetable oil================4 tbsp
All these ingredients are available at any Indian store (some supermarkets e.g. Tescos also stock ingredients for Indian cooking now)
1. Joint the chicken (cut into medium size pieces) and remove the skin.
2. Make small cuts on the leg and breast pieces and place in a bowl. Add the Ginger & Garlic paste and the vinegar and mix well. Let the mix marinate for 1/2 hour.
3. Puree the tomatoes in a blender and keep aside.
4. Chop the onions roughly and puree in a blender by adding a little water.
5. Chop the green chilies (optional)
6. Heat the oil in a thick bottomed vessel (not a wok) and add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Stir and fry for ~10 seconds.
7. Add the Onion paste + green chili and mix.
8. Fry the onion paste on medium heat for ~10 minutes until it turns dry. Stir occassionally.
9. Add the tomato paste and fry for ~10 minutes while stirring.
10. Once the mix is dry and you can see a slight film of oil, add the Garam masala (curry powder), Corriander powder, Cumin powder, Red chili powder and turmeric powder and mix. Fry for 2 minutes.
11. Add the marinated chicken pieces and salt and fry for 5 min on high heat.
12. Add enough water (~500 ml) to cover the chicken and cook until done.
13. Add the dried fenugreek leaves and stir (can be substituted with a twist of lime juice)
14. Serve with boiled rice / naan.