pouring concrete flume
In town we referred to it as "The Brook" but when it was built back in the 1930s, this "flume" was a project for flood and erosion control from the Elizabeth River.
It was part of President Roosevelt's Infrastructure and Utilities projects in the New Deal. The workers were part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It was completed in 1936.
In this photo they are working during the winter pouring concrete in the area of Civic Square.