new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Machinery foundations, Cligga Head Mine, Perranporth | by Rogpow
Back to group

Machinery foundations, Cligga Head Mine, Perranporth

The remains date from the reworking of the mine in the 1940's. Reopened in a small way in September 1938, it was taken over by the Rhodesian Mines Trust Ltd. in 1939 and mined for wolframite which was used to produce tungsten needed during WW2.for munitions. Contact Shaft was reopened and deepened, and between 1940 and 1944 300 tons of wolframite and 200 tons of black tin were produced. The mine closed in 1945 when cheaper tungsten became available from abroad.

2,698 views
9 faves
1 comment
Taken on September 17, 2018