Porticus Octaviae: Corinthian pilaster (anta)
Detail of a marble Corinthian pilaster capital, entablature, and inscription from the Porticus Octaviae, Rome. The propylaeum gate to the temple precinct was built in the late first century BCE by Octavia, the sister of Augustus, apparently to complete a project started by her son Marcellus. The Augustan-period project replaced the Porticus Metelli. Repairs and renovations in brick are recorded to have been undertaken by Septimius Severus and his son Caracalla in 203 (CIL 6.1034). Inset: the arrow points to the location of the pilaster (anta) on the right side of the gate.