Polygonal Masonry at Signia/Segni: Capitolium
A view of the podium (platform) and the Capitolium* of ancient Signia (now Segni). The podium is made of polygonal masonry (dated to the fifth century B.C., but note that dating of the present structure is problematic, e.g., A. Lake: "The temple as we know see it is to be dated to the II. century [BCE], to which period belong the very large revetments of the entablature and pediment" p. 111).
The interior of the podium is built with cross walls placed where it was necessary to support walls and columns of the tetrastyle superstructure, the rest was simply filled with packed earth.
Note that the walls of the podium were built up in two steps. The lower of the two is 1.18 m high, and the upper is 1.82 m high (thus total height = 3 m). The dimensions of the upper wall are 23.91 m across and 40.27 long.
The cella wall of the temple, partially preserved and now incorporated within the Church of S. Pietro, is constructed of tufa (tuff) ashlars. The back (north) wall of the central cella is visible here.
*identification as the Capitolium: is based upon the prominent location and the triple-cella of the shrine. Votive offerings at the site have confirmed the worship of the goddess Juno, but it is possible that the goddess alone was honored here without her counterparts Jupiter and Minerva (cf. Lake 111).
A. G. Lake "Archaeological Evidence for the 'Tuscan Temple'" MAAR 12 (1935) 89-150.
photo taken in 1974.