Indian Statue on Council Rock
This kneeling Lenape warrior was sculpted in 1902 by John Massey Rhind. Commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Henry, it is a tribute to the Lenape Indians who hunted and fished in the Wissahickon prior to the arrival of colonists. The 12' sculpture is mistakenly believed to depict Chief Tedyuscung, the most famous member of the Lenape tribe. The Lenape Indians, and all Eastern tribes did not wear the "Western Indian" headress as shown on the statue.