Mathematical Bridge Cambridge
Texture By Joes Sistah
The Mathematical Bridge is the popular name of a wooden bridge across the River Cam, between two parts of Queens' College, Cambridge. Its official name is simply the Wooden Bridge.
The bridge was designed by William Etheridge, and built by James Essex in 1749. It has been rebuilt on two occasions, in 1866 and in 1905, but has kept the same overall design.
The original "mathematical bridge" was another bridge of the same design, also designed by James Essex, crossing the Cam between Trinity and Trinity Hall, where Garret Hostel bridge now stands.