new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
IMG_4105_6_7_tonemapped.jpg | by rlord
Back to group

IMG_4105_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

After the First World War, the number of Icelandic Catholics was growing and there was a need to build a bigger church. They decided to build a Neo-Gothic church and entrusted the task to the modernist architect Guðjón Samúelsson (who also designed the Hallgrimskirkja). After years of construction, Landakotskirkja was finally consecrated on July 23, 1929. It was the largest church in Iceland at the time.

105 views
0 faves
5 comments
Taken on February 19, 2011