new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Puffer fish | by riviera 2005
Back to photostream

Puffer fish

Served right, it's a delicacy, but slice it the wrong way and it's off to the anti-poison ward you go! From wikipedia: "Pufferfish poisoning deadens the tongue and lips, and induces dizziness and vomiting, followed by numbness and prickling over the body, rapid heart rate, decreased blood pressure, and muscle paralysis. The toxin paralyzes diaphragm muscles and stops the person who has ingested it from breathing. People who live longer than 24 hours typically survive, although possibly after a coma lasting several days. "

1,186 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on November 10, 2011