THE OLD APEX TRAIN DEPOT
The most significant landmark in Apex NC is the 1914 Apex Union Depot, located in the heart of downtown Apex. The original depot, built in 1906, burned down in 1914, but the loss was soon replaced with this structure. The design was a segregated building with the left side waiting room for white people and an area to the far left, behind the fireplace, for ladies who were traveling alone. The center housed the ticket office with access to both waiting rooms.
The depot became Apex’s library when passenger trains discontinued use of the depot. When the new regional library opened, and in an effort to preserve this important piece of history, the Apex Chamber of Commerce undertook the job of repairing and restoring the Depot to its original condition.