new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Mushroom | by Quasic
Back to photostream

The Mushroom

An uncharacteristically large mushroom growing on the grounds at Roehampton.


As pointed out by the first comment, this is the Common Inkcap (Coprinopsis Atramentaria) mushroom. It is secreting a liquid that was once used as ink, and while edible, becomes very toxic when combined with alcohol (even if only a small amount of alcohol is consumed three days later). This, however, has not been recorded as fatal.


I love Wikipedia.

1 fave
Taken on September 29, 2008