Sheffield J.O.C. No.1354 (654BWB) Sheffield
Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee unusually combined municipal and railway ownership of buses and services.
Sheffield’s fleet and its operational routes were split into three groups, Corporation, Joint & Railway Company . Two railway companies were involved prior to the 1948 formation of British Rail and joint operations with other operators made life in the Steel City even more unusual.
Even with these complications the committee had an enviable reputation for quality. Pictured is 654BWB, a Metro-Cammell bodied Leyland Atlantean PDR1 which was new to Shefield JOC in April 1962 as No.1354, along with 8 sisters (1350-1358).
In 1973 all 9 passed to South Yorkshire PTE (this one being renumbered 224) following that undertakings absorption of the JOC.
One vehicle from the batch, 657BWB, survives today, although it now bears no resemblance to the example we see here. In 1968 it was rebodied by Park Royal following extensive fire damage and is preserved at Sandtoft.