Leaning arches in St Mary's church, Fordwich, Kent
The central arches lean inwards.
Fordwich near Canterbury is the smallest place in Britain with a town council. It has a population of 351. The town grew in the Middle Ages as a port for boats on their way upriver to Canterbury. All of the Caen stone used by the Normans to rebuild Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th and 13th centuries was landed at Fordwich. The Town Hall is supposedly the smallest in England and was rebuilt in 1555.
The ancient parish church of St Mary the Virgin (11th to 14th centuries) contains part of a carved sarcophagus reputed to have contained the remains of St Augustine of Canterbury.