DMU Class 108 Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit
We went on this train between Tenterden and Bodiam on our half term holiday in Rye.
The Derby Lightweight two-car units (later class 108) were introduced in the 1950's for duties on secondary lines. They are in direct line of decent from the GWR railcars and, earlier still, from the Ford and Shefflex railbuses pioneered by Colonel Stephens and employed on the K&ESR. The various classes of dmmu were widely used by all Regions of British Rail except the Southern. ‘The 108', as it is known on the Kent & East Sussex, was acquired for the Railway in 1993. The vehicles were the best available to the purchasing group and not a long standing pairing. Since arriving on the K&ESR, an extensive programme of renovation has progressed steadily. Both are now turned out in their original green livery with the well-known ‘cats whisker' lining out to the front ends. The cars entered regular service during 1996 and since 2001 have been regularly used to supplement steam services on quieter days, their observation car-like ends proving popular with passengers. Although relatively unknown in the South East, class 108 is well fitted to the K&ESR, the type's branch line duties specification suiting it to the railway's rural character.