Titness Park Berks REVIVALHERITAGE1866
Titness Park, Berkshire, demolished (mid C20th?)
An older house once stood on the site and one of its owners is noted as ‘POPHAM, Sir Home Riggs (1762-1820), of Titness Park, Berks.’ In the History of Parliament archives.
Titness Park was rebuilt in 1823, an early project for the prolific society architect George Basevi (a favorite pupil of Sir John Soane) for Henry Bonham (1765-1830). (He had also commissioned Bromsberrow Place and Gatcombe Park).
Other owners: John INNES MP (d.1838), before 1838. Captain Sir Reginald A. E. Cathcart, bart., from 1859. Mr Sampson Ricardo. Lord Annaly, around 1866. The Gordons of Cluny castle Aberdeenshire 1882 – 1929 (which overlaps the next owner..)
From 1923: Lt. Col. Sir James Horlick (1886 - 1973). He also had a summer holiday home until the beginning of World War II. It is unclear when the house was abandoned or demolished.
The building was an early C19th Gothic revival structure coated with stucco, a highly fashionable style during the late regency period often seen in houses within a few miles of London.
The house was either sold multiple times or regularly leased to a string of wealthy and important men who were engaged in politics. The relatively close vicinity to London and having Windsor just a few miles away would have had political advantages. The Prince of Wales stayed here in 1866 whilst attending the nearby Ascot races. This was one of many royal visits to the house.
The deep pink Rhododendron ‘Titness Park’ was first cultivated in the grounds which were unusually small for such an important dwelling.