The Old Tree of Tashilhungpo Gompa, Tibet 2004
Mother Father and Son
Tashi Lhunpo, the seat of the Panchen Lamas, was founded in 1447 by the First Dalai Lama, Gendun Drub, on the slopes of Dolma ri. The original building (the assembly hall known as Kelzang Lhakang ) was built above a sacred sky-bural site, the stone slab of which is still to be seen on the floor within.
Tashilhunpo Monastery ,Tibetan: བཀྲ་ཤིས་ལྷུན་པོ་, full name in Tibetan of the monastery means: "all fortune and happiness gathered here" . Founded in 1447 by Gendun Drup, the First Dalai Lama. is a historic and culturally important monastery next to Shigatse, the second-largest city in Tibet.
Pilgrims circumambulate the monastery on the Lingkor (sacred path) outside the walls.
Fortunately, although two-thirds of the buildings were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution, they were mainly the residences for the 4,000 monks and the monastery itself was not as extensively damaged as most other monasteries in Tibet, for it was the seat of the Panchen Lama who remained in Chinese-controlled territory.