Hiroshima Castle Walls and Foundation Stones
This castle was completed in 1599 by Mōri Terumoto, whose clan was soon forced to evacuate the castle and the Hiroshima area as a result of fighting on the losing side during the battle of Sekigahara in 1600. Lordship of the castle and area was transferred to Fukushima Masanori who held it until 1619 when he was transferred to a smaller domain for repairing the castle without permission of the shogunate. After that, the Asano clan ruled from Hiroshima Castle until 1869.
This is not the original castle-- unfortunately the main tower, its wings and other buildings were destroyed during the atomic bombing on August 6, 1945.