Schonbrunn Palace,Vienna: View from Privy Gardens...
Schonbrunn palace, in the outskirts of Vienna, Austria is a spectacular baroque palace that served as the summer residence of the famous Hapsburg family from the 18th century onwards.
The Privy Garden, known in German as the Crown Prince Rudolf Garden, is part of the Meidling Kammergärten which lie immediately in front of the east façade of the palace, and received its name around 1870, after apartments had been furnished for Crown Prince Rudolf on the ground floor of this wing. The four sections of the parterre are enclosed by formal beds and centre around an ancient yew tree.
The land on which the Palace sits was initially bought by Emperor Maximilian II in 1569. He fenced the land and filled it with an assortment of game. The area would then become a hunting and recreation ground for the elite of Vienna. Unfortunately during the Turkish siege of 1683, the land was levelled and all buildings that stood here were destroyed.
Construction of the modern palace began in 1696 and during the next century served as the summer residence of the Austrian Royal Family up until the breakup of the royal family after World War 1.
The Schönbrunn Palace is set among vast gardens, which also incorporate Vienna Zoo - a trip in itself and one of the best Zoos in Europe. A maze has also been constructed here, in the same manner as it had been over 200 years earlier.