new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Old Park Halt Station | by Reej
Back to photostream

Old Park Halt Station

This elegant – if rather neglected – Wilhelmine structure was designed by Dutch architect Jacob Klinkhamer (1854 – 1928) in 1895 after being commissioned by the ZAR government. It was originally manufactured in Rotterdam and re-erected at Park Halt (as Park Station was known at the time) between 1896 and 97. The structure is an excellent example of late nineteenth-century building technology. In 1952, as part of the renewal of Park Station, the steel canopy was dismantled and re-erected in Kempton Park as a training centre for railway personnel. In 1995 the old structure was once again dismantled and re-erected in Newtown. It was hoped that the structure would form part of a railway museum. www.newtown.co.za/heritage/history

248 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on July 24, 2010