The Red Head Book
Explored January 10, 2009 Highest # 377
This is what happens when it's stormy outside and you are stuck in the house all day not wanting to edit photos, but instead wanting to play...
Some random myths and facts about us redheads:
1. Red hair is seen on the heads of only four percent of people. Most of these exist in the U.K., the Republic of Ireland, and Australia. <-- i live in the USA where there are 2-6 percent. It is thought that up to 46 percent of the Irish population carries the recessive redhead gene.
2. There is a belief that redheads are prone to industrial deafness. This actually could be true as the melanocytes are found in the middle ear. <--What'd ya say?
3. A 2002 study found that redhead are harder to sedate than any other people requiring twenty percent more anesthesia. Inadequate doses cause people to wake up during surgery and have increased recall of procedures. <---oh GREAT.
4. In the late 16th century, the fat of a redheaded man was an essential ingredient for poison. <--eek
The Egyptians regarded the color as so unlucky that they had a ceremony in which they burned red-headed maidens alive to wipe out the tint. <--i'm cold natured.
5. An Irish judge in 2001 fined a man for disorderly conduct stating "I am a firm believer that hair coloring has an effect on temper and your coloring suggests you have a temper." <---LOL
6. Redheads have always been thought untrustworthy. <--not true.
7. Adolph Hitler reportedly banned the marriages of two redheads as he feared their children would be "deviant offspring".<--Hitler had no idea.
8. Red hair is the rarest natural hair colour in humans. The pale skin associated with red hair may be of advantage in far-northern climates where sunlight is scarce. Studies by Bodmer and Cavalli-Sforza (1976) hypothesized that lighter skin pigmentation prevents rickets in colder latitudes by encouraging higher levels of Vitamin D production and also allows the individual to retain heat better than someone with darker skin. Also, the vividness and rarity of red hair may lead to its becoming desirable in a partner and therefore it could become more common through sexual selection. <--OOh weee.
9. Bees are thought to sting redheads more than others. <--for sure!
10. In Denmark it is an honor to have a redheaded child. <--and redheaded babies are sooo cute. Ask my mom.
11. In Corsica, if you pass a redhead in the street you are to spit and turn around. <--not going there.
12. In Poland, if you pass three red-heads you'll win the state lottery.<--Cause that's how we roll.
13. In Greek Mythology, redheads turn into Vampires when they die. <--uh oh
14. During the Spanish Inquisition flame colored hair was evidence that its owner had stolen the fire of hell and had to be burned as a witch. <--Again, cold natured.
15. Russian tradition declares that red hair is both a sign that a person holds a fiery temper and craziness. <mm hmm
16. A Russian Proverb warns "There was never a saint with red hair."<--not one?? I can keep trying.
17. Aristotle was known to believe that redheads were emotionally unhousebroken. <--just a little shaky.
18. A French Proverb states that "redheaded women are either violent or false, and usually are both." <--we're not that bad!
I just want to say thank you to my Flickr friends. I hit 10,000 views yesterday. I know that's not a lot to some of you who have 50,000+ but, it means a lot to me. Thank you again, guys. mwah.