new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Fort Ricasoli - Kalkara - Malta | by Ray Abela
Back to photostream

Fort Ricasoli - Kalkara - Malta

Fort Ricasoli - Kalkara - Malta

 

It was designed by the Italian military engineer Antonio Maurizio Valperga, as part of Grand Master Nicholas Cottoner's extensive fortifications around Grand Harbour. It is named for the knight who financed a large part of the works, Fra Giovanni Francesco Ricasoli.

 

The Fort continued to be an active military installation throughout the British period.

 

It was the scene of a mutiny in 1807 when Sicilian soldiers of the Froberg Regiment revolted and shut themselves up in Fort Ricasoli. Despite attempts at negotiation they eventually blew up the powder magazine. The mutiny was quashed by loyal troops, and 30 mutineers were condemned to death by court martial.

 

Fort Ricasoli was active in the defence of Malta during the second world war. Structural alterations and additional gun emplacements on the seaward bastion bear witness to its continued use and evolution as a military installation.

 

The fort has suffered significant damage from enemy action in the siege of Malta during World War II, when much of the internal structure was badly damaged. The gate has been rebuilt, but the internal buildings including the Governor's House have been lost.

1,676 views
0 faves
3 comments
Taken on May 9, 2009