Metropolitan Building, Esplanade, Calcutta
On the eastern side of Esplanade stands a spectacular building in Baroque style, complete with domes, pediments, balconies & clock tower. Known as the Metropolitan Building it once housed Calcutta's (Kolkata's) leading departmental stores and was known as the Whiteway Laidlaw Building.
Repaired recently the Metropolitan Building still stands as an important landmark overlooking the crowded Chowringhee. Today the ground floor is occupied by the Central Cottage Industry Showroom and the Big Bazar, whose innumerable red & blue banners have robbed the Metropolitan Building of its beauty & grace. The upper floors are occupied by innumerable tenants residing in box like quarters.
This photo, converted into black & whit shows the Metropolitan Building (Whiteway Laidlaw Building) with its towering clock tower.
For more information about the Metropolitan Building, Calcutta (Kolkata) visit my Blog
This photo is in 8 groups
- ***FLICKRPEDIA*** House of Knowledge/Please comment on 3 15,230 items
- Build your rainbow L1 TRANSPARENT p1/a5 77,302 items
- Traveller's World 496,791 items
- ANTICANDO!!!(P1/Aw3)"Stained Glass"+"Wood Structures" 157,230 items
- "The Pinnacle of Photography" by Admin Invite 9,020 items
- WONDERFUL WORLD OF BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE (P1 / A1 ) 73,952 items