12/4/05 - Old Station 4
RALEIGH - Old Engine 4 was reunited with old Station 4 at a community event on Saturday, December 4, 2005. The 1926 American LaFrance Type 75 triple combination, driven from Station 27 on Buffaloe Road, returned to its original quarters off Glenwood Avenue for the first time in decades.

Parked on the apron at 505 Jefferson Street, the vintage apparatus drew dozens of spectators for the Historic Glenwood-Brooklyn Neighborhood Association's 100th anniversary year tour of historic homes.

Raleigh Fire Department Captain Gary Amato operated the engine. Retired Air Force Colonel Bob Biggs, who restored the pumper in 1987, accompanied Captain Amato on the 16 mile round trip.

The 73 HP, 750 GPM apparatus was delivered in August 1926. The purchase price was $12,500. It was the second of two identical apparatus delivered that year.

Fire Station 4 opened on June 15, 1926. Built by John F. Danielson, the 1,100 square-foot brick building housed eight firefighters on two shifts. It was the first of two new fire stations opened that year.

The 1926 American LaFrance was replaced in 1950 with an FWD Model F-75-T pumper. The Jefferson Street station was closed in 1963, when Engine 4 was relocated to 2913 Wake Forest Road.

The building was subsequently sold and has been privately owned since that time. Mike Legeros photographs.
32 photos · 12 views