Leiber Family Photographs
The Leiber Family photographs are part of the Leiber Family Papers at the Port Washington Public Library. The photographs include approximately 380 images of the Leiber family, the Port Washington waterfront, boating, and model boats.
William C. Leiber, Sr. (1870-1935) and Emma Louise Knauth were married on June 8, 1902. William Leiber, Sr. made his living in the tile business in New York City. A newspaper clipping from 1909 notes that he was the head of the firm of Leiber, Schrenkeisen & Nobbe. The Leibers purchased their home at 44 Second Avenue (Port Washington, New York) in 1903 and made it their permanent residence in 1911. An active member of the Port community, Leiber was a member of the Knickerbocker Yacht Club and the Atlantic Hook and Ladder Co.
William C. Leiber, Jr. (1908-1987) was born in Brooklyn and moved to Port Washington with his parents in 1911. A longtime employee of the Grumman Corporation, Leiber, Jr. had a talent and enthusiasm for ham radios, steam engine construction and boat building. Several of his designs were published in The Modelmaker and the Model Craftsman magazines. Leiber was an avid boater and speedboat racer, and belonged to the Port Washington Yacht Club and Mill Pond Model Boat Club. He took first place in the Harwood Trophy Race around Manhattan in 1951 and 1952, and also took first place in the Ocean City yacht club race in 1953. At the age of fifty-five, Leiber, Jr. added a new hobby - flying. William C. Leiber Jr. died on June 14, 1987. He was married to June Marguerite Erickson who died in December of 1986.