Railway Pier c1872
The Melbourne and Hobsons Bay Railway Company conceived of a plan to link Melbourne to the bay with a rail line and a deep-water pier in Hobsons Bay. Due to its proximity to Melbourne, the swampland of Sandridge (Port Melbourne) was chosen for the location of this new pier, which became known as Railway Pier. It opened in 1854.
VPRS 8357 P5 Unit 125