Equestrian Sculpture of Marcus Aurelius with detail of upper body
Original Roman bronze, c. 173-176 C.E. The initial location of the sculpture is unknown though it had been housed in the Lateran Palace since the 8th century until it was placed in the center of the Piazza del Campidoglio by Michelangelo in 1538. The original is now indoors for purposes of conservation. Marcus Aurelius ruled 161-180 C.E.