new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Roanoke Lighthouse | by prefers salt marsh
Back to photostream

Roanoke Lighthouse

From the sign: Originally constructed in 1886 by the US Ligthouse Service, the Lighthouse served as a navigational beacon to Mariners at the entrance to the Roanoke river which was the main commercial passageway to the towns of Plymouth and Williamston upstream. The Lighthouse remained in service until 1941, when it was decommissioned by the US Coast Guard. In 1955 it was moved to Edenton by Mr. Emmett Wiggins. Of the more than twenty Lighthouses that served to mark the rivers and sounds of the Ablermarle and Pamlico, this is the last known surviving example of a square sided, screw-pile Lighthouse.

665 views
2 faves
7 comments
Taken on April 7, 2009