A thirty-five million dollar steel harp
Construction on the bridge began on January 5, 1934; it was opened to traffic on May 28, 1937. On the day it opened, the San Francisco Chronicle called it, "A thirty-five million dollar steel harp." Until 1964, it was the largest suspension bridge in the world; today, it is the ninth longest.
Happy Sliders Sunday!!