The Ypres salient, Belgium. Sanctuary Wood.
The name Sanctuary Wood was given by the British troops who used it as a shelter during the First Battle of Ypres. The wood changed hand many times - notably in 1916 when the Canadians re-took the wood and Hill 62 only to loose it again shortly afterwards. In 1917 Sanctuary Wood was the starting point of several costly attacks during the opening days of the Passchendaele offensive. Towards the base of Hill 62 is the Sanctuary Wood Museum where there are several preserved British trenches from the period 1915 - 17. They include a communication tunnel and several dug outs. Also of note are the shell blasted stumps of trees - all that remains of the original wood.