1815. Stanley Mill. King's Stanley. Gloucestershire.
King's Stanley is situated approximately two miles west of Stroud in the County of Gloucestershire, UK
Stanley Mill. Built in 1812 for the manufacture of woollen cloth. The main building was one of the first in England of "fireproof" construction, with iron columns.
1812 Present buildings begun
1813 Feb. Sold to Harris and Maclean for £8,655. Reference to new erected dyehouses, wool-lofts, woolstores, workshops, clothrooms, counting houses, etc. Canal accounts show delivery of stone, bricks, timber, iron and slates. Timber and some stone came from the Forest of Dean. The iron work was made by Benjamin Gibbons of the Earl of Dudley’s Level New Furnaces. This plant built in 1802-3 continued to run until 1954.
1824 First reference to a steam engine at Stanley.
1834 Maclean, Stephens and Co made superfine cloth and kerseymere.
1834. At Stanley, a steam engine of 40 hp. (bought from Boulton and Watt 1824) and 5 water wheels on a fall of 16 feet, equal to 200hp. The supply of water in summer was so irregular it caused interruptions in the work several hours a day.
All machinery considered dangerous was fenced off as far as was practicable. Hours worked, 11 to 12 and in some departments 13. No children under 9 were employed and very few under 10. The youngest, up to 12 or 13, were employed as piecers working up to 101/2 to 11 hours. The older ones worked 11 to 12 hours.
Refractory or disorderly children were dismissed.
1839. At Stanley, a steam engine of 50 hp. and 5 water wheels, 1 of 30hp. and 4 of 25 hp.
c. 1839 Sold to Nathaniel Marling for £27,000.
1854 Weaving shed built in front of main building, probably replacing an earlier building on the site.
1867 High pressure condensing engine installed.
1868 80hp. Turbine added.