The Methodist Church. Silverton. NSW
There was a strong Methodist presence in Silverton in the 1890s.
The Methodist Church that stands today was built in 1885 as a place of worship for Presbyterians. When the original Methodist Church was destroyed in by strong winds in 1891, the Presbyterians gladly sold their building, owing to them being outnumbered.
The Presbyterian Minister of the time took the opportunity to enter the mining field, becoming somewhat of an expert before heading off to become a poet and journalist.