Hereford Cattle, Shobdon Arches, Herefordshire
The original interior arches of the church were removed when the present church was built in 1756, being placed at the top of the adjacent hill as a folly where they still stand. The Shobdon Arches consist of a central chancel arch and two Norman doorways. The fine, though weathered, carvings are the work of the Herefordshire School of Stone Carvers, a group of unknown but talented sculptors who worked from 1120 - 1170 in the south west Marches of England and Wales. The tympana were once probably part of the original doorways.