Stanier Black Five 45379 runs round at Kingsley and Froghall on the Churnet Valley Railway, 11th March 2011.
45379 was built in 1937 by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co. Scotswood Works, Newcastle on Tyne and was one of a batch of two hundred and twenty six engines (which was the largest order ever placed with a private builder by a British Railway Company) worth £2.7 million. It entered traffic in July 1937 allocated to Crewe North MPD. On nationalisation in 1948 it became 45379 and transferred to Rugby in January 1948 moving on to Northampton in December 1948. In June 1956 it was back to Crewe North until transfer to Bletchley in May 1961 and Willesden in March 1964 from where it was withdrawn in July 1965 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry Island for scrap. In 1974 it was bought for restoration and taken to the Avon Valley Railway, moving later in 1996 to The Great Central Railway (North) at Ruddington. It was bought from there by Mid Hants Railway Preservation Society arriving at Alresford on 1st March 2002. It was finally overhauled and returned to steam in September 2010, forty five years after withdrawal.