new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
09001_1980_04_Clapham | by johnwoolley@btopenworld.com
Back to group

09001_1980_04_Clapham

Clapham Junction yard pilot on the 5th April 1980 is 09001.

 

Locomotive History

09001 was built at Darlington works in 1959 as D3665 and though very similar to a class 08 shunting locomotive, the class 09 locomotives are re-geared to give a maximum top speed of 27.5 mph (44 km/h) at the expense of a lower tractive effort. The higher top speed was particularly useful for Southern Region duties and D3665 was allocated to Eastleigh MPD on release from Darlington works. In September 1962 it transferred to Hither Green where it remained apart from an eighteen month spell at Ashford from January 1966 until transferred to Selhurst in January 1974. In March 1971 it was fitted with dual brakes with waist level air brake fittings for coupling to Southern Region EMU stock. It would remain a Southern Region engine until transferring to South Wales towards the end of its career in May 2004. 09001 was transported north from South Wales on the 7th February 2009 to Doncaster and after arrival in South Yorkshire, it was subsequently stored. It was made available for sale on the 2nd September 2010 and was purchased by the Heritage Shunters Trust, based at Peak moving to Rowsley on the 28th January 2011.

 

2,486 views
7 faves
2 comments
Uploaded on December 27, 2011