With its steam heating boiler fired up 24061 is being prepared at Grosmont to work “top and tail” with 25278 with the Dining train to Pickering, 13th March 2011. 24061 was originally D5061 and was built at Crewe works in the autumn of 1959, entering traffic in January 1960, allocated to March MPD as part of the East Anglian dieselisation program. By November 1960 it had moved across to the London Midland Region at Willesden before moving north to Rugby in December 1960 and returning to the Eastern Region at Finsbury Park in March 1961. After five years at Finsbury Park D5061 transferred north to Scotland (Haymarket) in August 1966 for empty coaching stock and local passenger duties around Edinburgh, as part of a general shuffle of Scottish locomotives in the run down of steam in the Thornton, Dunfermline and Dundee area. After eighteen months working in Scotland it returned south to Longsight in January 1968 as part of the final campaign to finish steam working in the North West. Its final transfer was to Stoke Division (in reality Crewe) in November 1968. 24061 withdrawn in August 1975 and dumped at Crewe, however the sudden abandonment of many serviceable class 24's allowed the Research Department at Derby to find a reliable replacement for class 23, 5901 and class 28, 5705. Their choice was 24061 and it was noted at Derby works in October 1975 under repair. 24061 was renumbered RDB968007 in the departmental fleet list during July 1976. Three years later in July 1979 it received the engine from recently withdrawn 24063 at Doncaster works and on return to Derby it was renumbered 97201. After another seven years service on Research department duties it was withdrawn in July 1986.