new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Calm Before The Storm | by phunnyfotos
Back to photostream

Calm Before The Storm

St. Kilda Pier, Melbourne, VIC, Australia


Best viewed large on black; just press L.


Timeline for the historic kiosk on the pier:


1859 – St Kilda Pier is built after a storm destroyed the Fitzroy Street jetty


1903 – Francis Parer, a caterer, submits rough plans and details of a St Kilda Pier Kiosk to the St Kilda Council


1904 – The Kiosk is completed, architectural drawings done by James Morell


1905 – Francis Parer operates the kiosk on a live-in basis. It becomes known as Parer’s Pavillion, but is actually named the Austral Refreshment Rooms


1939 – Noble and Ivy Kerby acquire the lease from the Victorian Government. Noble Kerby operates the kiosk for 18 years


1940 – The 1940's proved to be the Pier’s heyday, when it shared the beach with the StKilda Baths complex


1959 – Noble Kerby dies. His son Colin and wife Judy take over the lease


1970 – The pier is demolished and replaced with reinforced concrete, onto which the kiosk is then placed


1987 – The kiosk has a $1million refurbishment of historic features for the Bicentennial Celebration


1991 – After significant rent increases from the refurbishment, the Kerby’s retire to sail around the world. The kiosk reopens under new management, following a council campaign to lower the rent


2003 – September - Kiosk burns down due to arson attack


2004 – September - A $2.75million restoration plan is unveiled


2004 – Novenmber - The St Kilda Pier arsonist is sentenced to three years jail


2006 – March - Restoration is completed using plans from 1904, with a new café built at the back to replace the old residence. Peter Tzambazis wins the the tender for a 16 year lease on the kiosk



7 faves
Taken in September 2012