Kelly House - east elevation
Beveridge, VIC, Australia
"The boyhood house of Ned Kelly.
This house was built by Ned Kelly’s father, John ‘Red’ Kelly, in 1859.
It is where Ned lived for perhaps four years of his boyhood and
where his brothers Jim and Dan and sister Kate were probably born.
The Kellys came to Beveridge in 1854.
They ran dairy cows and Red did carpentry
jobs and speculated on land purchases with
money earned from the gold diggings.
His holdings are shaded on the map below.
In 1859 he bought 21 acres and built this cottage
using accessible bush materials – saplings for
the frame, split weatherboards for the walls,
timber shingles for the roof, and local bluestone
for the chimney and well. Refinements such as
wall linings, ceilings and timber floors
were absent. There were just two rooms,
although a calico partition in the main room
created a third, dividing living and sleeping
quarters. The second room was a small dairy or
coolstore, and beyond the house were a milking
shed and stables. The family settled here in time
for the birth of second son, Jim in July 1859.
Success was short-lived for the Kellys; the town
failed to prosper and the family fell into debt,
Moving to rented accommodation in Avenel.
By then, there were six children and another
on the way. James Stewart bought the house
in 1864 and added nine more rooms.
The former Kelly house is included
In the Victorian Heritage Register."