Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel
Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Located on the grounds of Holy Cross Cemetery, Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel (also known as Our Lady of Dolours) is a municipally registered heritage property. On August 31, 1843, nearly 2000 volunteers marched from St. Mary’s Basilica on Barrington Street and, under the direction of Archbishop Walsh, built the structure in a single day. It is reported that the work progressed rapidly, efficiently, and cheerfully.
This simple chapel is built of wood on an ironstone foundation. It has a square tower at the front, a semi-circular apse and gothic-inspired windows. The east window of the chapel is made of stained glass with roundels considered to be of Flemish origin brought to Halifax possibly in the 1850’s. The window on the south aisle has a single roundel of Our Lady. Inside the chapel there is a simple altar of pine and pews for sitting and kneeling also made of pine. The chapel seats a congregation of seventy.