The lunatics have taken over the Asylum
High Royds was one of the last remaining psychiatric hospitals of its kind still functioning when it closed in Febuary 2003. Opening on 8 October 1888 it was then known as West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum. It was the third establishment of its kind in the former West Riding of Yorkshire,
The hospital site included at one stage a library, surgery, dispensary, ballroom, butchers, dairies, bakers and even its own railway. By the 1930’s a sweetshop, cobbler, upholsterer and a tailor were all added turning the hospital into a small self-contained village.
See more High Royds photos here