007 Selworthy NatTrust ©
Copyright © PS
Selworthy village and green, English National Trust, Holnicote Estate, Exmoor.........
The estate of 12,443 acres is the National Trust's main property on Exmoor.
At first glance the cream-washed stone, thatched cottages are typical of many ancient settlements in this area. However, Selworthy was rebuilt in 1828 by Sir Thomas Acland. He was a philanthropist and designed the village to provide housing for the aged of the Holnicote estate, using traditional designs and materials. Located on the wooded slopes of Selworthy Combe, the village is laid out loosely round a long green and climbs the hill to the 15th century church of All Saints.
Within Exmoor NationalPark: