new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Bryant Park | by peterjr1961
Back to photostream

Bryant Park

Josephine Shaw Lowell Memorial Fountain by Charles Adams Platt

 

Architect Charles A. Platt (1861–1933) designed this elegant black granite ornamental fountain to commemorate social worker and reformer Josephine Shaw Lowell (1843–1905). Shaw, who is said to be the first woman to be honored by a major monument in New York City, was the first female member of the New York State Board of Charities, serving from 1876 to 1889.

 

The Memorial Committee that worked to build the fountain originally wanted it placed in Corlear’s Hook Park on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, near where Shaw focused her energies. Instead, the fountain, with its 32-foot-wide lower basin and 13-foot-wide upper basin, was ultimately installed at the east side of Bryant Park in 1913. In 1936 the fountain was moved to the west side of the park. The fountain was refurbished as part of an overall restoration of the park by the Bryant Park Restoration Corporation, completed in 1992.

 

Location:

Sixth Avenue between 40th and 41st Streets

Architect:

Charles A. Platt

Description:

Ornamental fountain with tablet set into ground

Materials:

Stony Creek granite, bronze

Dimensions:

Lower basin Diameter: 32'; Upper basin Diameter: 13

Dedicated:

1913

Donor:

Gift

Inscription:

THIS FOUNTAIN COMMEMORATES

THE STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL CHARACTER OF

JOSEPHINE SHAW LOWELL

1843-1905

WIFE FOR ONE YEAR OF A PATRIOT SOLDIER

WIDOW AT TWENTY ONE

SERVANT OF NEW YORK STATE AND CITY

IN THEIR PUBLIC CHARITIES

SINCERE CANDID COURAGEOUS AND TENDER

BRINGING HELP AND HOPE TO THE FAINTING

AND INSPIRING OTHERS TO CONSECRATED LABORS

1,564 views
2 faves
2 comments
Taken on April 5, 2008