new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Herald Square | by peterjr1961
Back to photostream

Herald Square

Herald Square: Bennett Memorial

 

This park was named for the newspaper that was once published directly to its north. The City of New York acquired the area in 1846 as part of the opening of Bloomingdale Road (now Broadway). By the early 20th century, many printers and publishers had located in the area. The New York Herald, founded by James Gordon Bennett in 1835, was best known for its sensational coverage of scandal and crime, and for its enormous circulation. Herald Square’s centerpiece - a monument to Bennett and his son - houses a sculpture and clock that formerly topped the Herald building. The bronze figures include Minerva, the goddess of wisdom and invention, and two bell-ringing blacksmiths. The clock and figures were installed on the monument in 1940, and blacksmiths “Stuff and Guff” or “Gog and Magog” have chimed the hours ever since.

 

Location:

6th Avenue and 34th Street

Sculptor:

Antonin Jean Carles, Paris

Description:

Niche, pilasters, 3 figural statues, bell

Materials:

Bronze, Milford pink granite

Dimensions:

Bell H: 74" D: 45"; Minerva H: 11'; Left Figure H: 7'4"; Right Figure H: 6'11"; Plinth H: 5" L:10'4"

Dedicated:

1895; 1928; restored 1940

Foundry:

s101 - decauville, paris, 1894

Fabricator:

Restored by E. Gargani & Sons

Donor:

6th Avenue Association

Inscription:

 

A MEMORIAL TO

JAMES GORDON BENNETT (1795-1872)

FOUNDER OF THE NEW YORK HERALD IN 1835

AND TO HIS SON

JAMES GORDON BENNETT (1841-1918)

THRUGH WHOSE VISION AND ENTERPRISE

THE NEW YORK HERALD BECAME ONE OF THE

WORLD'S GREAT

NEWSPAPERS

THE BRONZE FIGURES OF MINERVA AND THE

BELLRINGERS ARE THE WORK OF ANTONIN

JEAN CARLES. THEY STOOD, FROM 1895 TO

1921. ABOVE THE CORNICES OF JAMES

GORDON BENNETT'S NEW YORK HERALD

BUILDING ON THE NORTH SIDE OF HERALD

SQUARE AND TOLLED THE ACTIVE HOURS TO

THE MILLIONS. IN 1928, THEY WERE GIVEN

BY WILLIAM T. DEWART, PUBLISHER OF THE

NEW YORK SUN, TO NEW YORK UNIVERSITY,

THROUGH WHOSE GENEROSITY IN 1928 THEY

ENTERED ON PERMANENT LOAN, THE CARE

OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PARKS OF THE CITY

OF NEW YORK, THAT THEY MAY BE HERE

RESTORED TO THEIR ORIGINAL AREA OF PLEASANT SERVICE, AND

TO THEIR PLACE IN THE HEARTS OF OUR

CITIZENS. FUNDS FOR THE RESTORATION

WERE PROVIDED BY SUBSCRIPTION OF

BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS WHOSE LIVES ARE

DEEP ROOTED IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF

HERALD SQUARE.

MCMXL

 

 

DOOR MEDALLION

OWL & CRESCENT, "LA NUIT PORTE CONSEIL"

 

GODDESS OF LIBERTY ORIGINALLY FROM ALTAR OF LIBERTY IN GREENWOOD CEMETARY COMMEMORATING THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND. TABLET INSCRIPTION

MINERVA, GODDESS OF WISDOM, GLORY AND PATRIOTISM

HERE SALUTES THE STATUE OF LIBERTY.

2,012 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on March 15, 2008