Dominican friars at St Alban's shrine
Originally constructed in 1309, the shrine of St Alban, like many of England's shrines, was demolished during the dissolution of the monasteries. The Purbeck marble pedestal was relocated in various locations in the Abbey in more than 2000 fragments and painstakingly put back together in the 1870s. A complete restoration of the shrine was undertaken in 1993.
The altar and iron-work around the shrine, designed by Mr George Pace, a former Cathedral Architect, were dedicated in 1967 as memorial gifts.
Here, Dominican friars, who later celebrated a Requiem High Mass in the extraordinary form of the Roman rite in St Alban's Lady chapel, are shown the shrine of England's proto-martyr.