Pope Sixtus V commissioned the architect Domenico Fontana in 1587 to build a new, larger library, which stands today. The top floor of the building is occupied by the Sistine Hall, which is now part of the Vatican Museums. The richly frescoed hallway is lined with cabinets that for centuries held the library’s manuscripts, which are now housed in a separate but neighboring place in the Secret Vatican Archives, founded under Pope Paul V (1605-1621).
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts