Place Garibaldi reflections
Lovely reflections, with Molly hiding among them.
Place Garibaldi dates back to the late 18th Century and initially was called Piazza Vittorio to commemorate King Victor Amédée III of Sardinia. Some years later it was renamed Place Garibaldi, after Giuseppe Garibaldi – the leader of the Italian unification, who wanted Nice to become a part of Italy.
This spacious square was designed by Antoine Spinelli, with some imposing buildings in Italian Baroque style. The statue of Joseph Garibaldi stands right in the centre of the place, built in 1891 by Gustave and Etex Deloye in memory of the great hero. Beautiful fountains are placed at the foot of the statue and add to the atmosphere of the verdant area around.