new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Silverhill, Hastings | by patrick.vickers1
Back to photostream

Silverhill, Hastings

Pottery workers cottages, these would have been on the corner of what is now Paynton Road and Sedlescombe Road North and the Potteries at the back in Paynton Road. The Potteries were built in 1838, they made chimney pots and roof tiles which can still be seen in Bohemia Road. The clay for the tiles was from what is now Vale Road,the clay for the pots came from St.Helens Down and Westfield. The Potteries ceased to operate in 1886 and were pulled down in 1895,the Cottages came down in 1900.

569 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on April 12, 2012