In the late 1880s, Calvin Higdon learned that the railroad would be coming through Polk County, Tennessee. Mr. Higdon bought property on the Hiwassee River and built a hotel that accommodated his family, railroad personnel, and travelers. The stop was very important to the railroad company; they called it "Higdon's Station" even though the post office was known as Reliance. The hotel was built around 1890 and operated until 1920. In addition to the hotel, the Higdon family operated a ferry to transport people across the Hiwassee River to the hotel. A road crossing the river was built in 1912.