new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Five Mile Point Light, New Haven CT | by foroyar22
Back to photostream

Five Mile Point Light, New Haven CT

The existing Five Mile Point Light at the east entrance to New Haven (Connecticut) Harbor off Long Island Sound, was built atop an 80 foot brownstone tower in 1847, replacing an earlier lighthouse built at the site just 17 years earlier.

 

The lighthouse became unneeded when Southwest Ledge Light was built just offshore in 1877, and Five Mile Point Light was deactivated that same year. The lighthouse became part of Lighthouse Point Park created by the New Haven park's commission, and has been owned by the City of New Haven since the 1920s.

583 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on December 12, 2011