Homestead, Beefacres Estate, Windsor Gardens.
The property known as Beefacres was first settled by Edward Mead Bagot in 1853. Bagot named the property Beefacres because he drove his stock overland from his cattle station in NSW, fattened them up on the river flats near the Torrens and then sold them in Adelaide. His first landholding was just one Section but increased to more than 2000 acres in less than 20 years.
In 1853 the area now known as Gilles Plains was advertised as ‘the best agricultural land in the colony "capable of producing every sought of grain” and Windsor Gardens was described as "raised above all neighbouring sections, Windsor commands an almost unbounded extent of mountainous, marine and woodland scenery. An excellent stone quarry, near the river. Purchasers of land will be supplied all… building material worthy to constitute a South Australian Windsor Castle".
In 1876 Edward Bagot sold his property to Charles and John Hart, sons of the late Captain John Hart of Glanville. In 1878 the Hart brothers purchased the Ardtornish Estate, of 1,326 acres extending their land holdings to 3500 acres which extended from the River Torrens to the Yatala Labour Prison and included most of Gilles Plains. During Harts ownership the holding developed into a village known as Beefacres Estate with accommodation for 40 single men. The farm had a Clydesdale stud, gardens, an orchard, sheep, a piggery, a dairy and bone and chaff mills. The Harts lived at Glanville Hall and employed J L Thompson a former Superintendent of the Victorian Government Farm to manage the property.
In the 1890's the property was sold off to many buyers including Peter Dickson who purchased 334 acres including the homestead. In 1930 Dickson sold 80 acres of his property to G W Pitt. In 1960 Pitt subdivided his property into 350 building blocks to form the area now known as Windsor Gardens. "Enfield and the Northern Villages"